We are pleased to announce that 20 new pilot projects and change initiatives will be funded as part of the university’s commitment to implementing its new strategic plan. The proposals were specifically selected for their strong potential to significantly advance the plan’s four core areas, and include a combination of faculty/unit projects, as well as cross-campus and dual campus initiatives.
Funding for the projects will be allocated for the 2018/19 fiscal year. The full list of newly-funded projects are below.
Background and selection process
Submissions for consideration were reviewed by the UBC Executives responsible for each of the four core areas of the strategic plan, in consultation with their relevant teams and senior leadership from across the university:
- People and Places: The VP Human Resources and VP Students;
- Research Excellence: The VP Research and Innovation;
- Transformative Learning: The Provosts on both campuses; and
- Local and Global Engagement: The VP External and the Vice-Provost International.
In addition, the university Indigenous leaders provided input and the Strategy and Decision Support (SDS) team conducted a fiscal and sustainability assessment in support of the adjudication process. Based on these reviews, the Coordinating Committee further assessed the proposals, and a shortlist was presented to student leadership and Executives before being approved by the President.
The selected proposals are being funded through the UBC Excellence Fund, a portion of which will be allocated each year to supporting pilots and change initiatives that advance the strategic plan.
The following 20 proposals were approved for funding across UBC’s Vancouver and Okanagan campuses.
People and Places
- UBC Science Early Career Invited Lecture Award
- Enhancing Graduate Student Community
- Implementation Phase 1: Conflict Engagement Framework
- Postdoc Career In-Sites Project
- Effective and Inclusive: UBC Okanagan Learning Spaces Enhancement
- Indigenous Engagement Training Program
- Research Integrity Training Framework
- Cariboo Fire & Ecology Research Institute
- Fostering Open Science at UBC
- Expanding ‘Supporting Aboriginal Graduate Enhancement’ (SAGE) across the Institution
- Community Entrepreneurship Course
- Cross-Cultural Professionals Development on Haida Gwaii
Local and Global Engagement
- Global Innovation Grant
- Improving Practice of Community-Based Research in the DTES
- Public Engagement – Metro Vancouver and Robson Square
- Building UBC’s Response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action
- Development of a Dual Credit Transfer Course: Strengthening Transitions from High School to NITEP – UBC’s Indigenous Teacher Education Program
- A National Indigenous Forestry School
- Improving Collections Access for Indigenous People
- Alumni Student Advisory Panel
Reporting and updates
Funded projects are being tracked by the Provost’s Office. We look forward to providing updates about these projects through the university’s annual Board of Governors, Senate and community reports. Regular updates on the strategic plan implementation – including future calls aligned with a new set of focused priorities, will be communicated via the established student, faculty and staff channels as well as this website. Please check back regularly for further updates on the progress of these projects and future strategic plan news.