To celebrate National Volunteer Week 2022, UBC Sauder highlights the contributions of five alumni who dedicate time, effort and resources for the benefit of future generations of Sauder students.
Volunteering is not a one-size-fits-all pursuit. These alumni serve as mentors, career coaches, guest speakers, networking delegates, ambassadors and event hosts, among many other roles. They are passionate about teaching excellence, capacity-building, amplifying underrepresented voices in business, building bonds among fellow alumni, and helping students navigate their career progression. Their history with UBC Sauder illustrates that there are volunteer opportunities for everyone, no matter your stage of life, area of interest, or where you call home.
Please visit the Sauder website to read the story and the volunteer profiles, featuring:
- Sher Najafi, Career Advisor, Career Preparation Program Manager, Beedie School of Business at Simon Fraser University, and UBC Master of Management MM ’16
- Jesus Ballesteros, Director, Financial Advisory Services at BDO Canada, and UBC Master of Business Administration MBA ’11
- Matthew Murray, Senior Vice-President & Corporate Controller at TELUS, and UBC Bachelor of Commerce BCom ’06
- Lawrence Leung, Senior Director Corporate Internal Audit at adidas, and UBC Bachelor of Commerce BCom ’08
- Hurriya Burney, Vice President, Commercial Banking at Royal Bank of Canada, and UBC Master of Business Administration MBA ’11
Through Strategy 18: Alumni Engagement, UBC is working with alumni UBC, together with targeted efforts across faculties and departments, to broaden and deepen engagement through programs that cultivate pride, empower personal growth, support professional development and enable contribution.