The recipients of Envisioning Equality were announced on March 8, 2022, International Women’s Day. The first of its kind, the award has been initiated to recognize and celebrate exceptional women and gender-diverse faculty and staff at UBC.
Women and gender-diverse teachers and employees at the University of British Columbia have made major contributions to the university for more than a century. Their contribution to scientific discovery and invention, as well as creative and aesthetic expression, is unparalleled, and plays a significant role for the betterment of society.
“Everything we do as a society depends upon the skills, talents and contributions of women and gender-diverse individuals around the world. I would like to congratulate the Envisioning Equity recipients, and to say a heartfelt thank-you for all that you do at UBC, and in the community”, says Santa J. Ono, President and Vice Chancellor, UBC.
The recipients are:
- Dr. Melania Alvarez, Sessional Lecturer and Research Associate, Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Science
- Dr. Nadine Caron, Professor, Department of Surgery, Northern Medical Program, Faculty of Medicine
- Dr. Ryuko Kubota, Professor, Department of Language and Literacy Education, Faculty of Education
- Dr. Sheryl Staub-French, Associate Dean of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Applied Science
- Dr. Sabrina Wong, Professor, School of Nursing, Faculty of Applied Science
- Michelle Cameron, Investigator, Investigations Office
- Em Mittertreiner, Student Director, UBC Climate Hub
- Shawna Narayan, Research Analyst, Department of Family Practice, Faculty of Medicine
- Deb Pickman, Special Projects, UBC Arts & Culture District, Faculty of Arts
- Dr. Afsaneh Sharif, Faculty Liaison/Senior Project Manager, Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology
To read more about the recipients of the award, please visit the UBC Academic + Provost website.
Through Strategy 4: Inclusive Excellence, UBC is working to cultivate an inclusive culture supporting gender-diverse community across campuses.