The University creates rich opportunities for international engagement for students, faculty, staff, and alumni, and collaborates and communicates globally.
No journey carries one far unless, as it extends into the world around us, it goes an equal distance into the world within.
Great universities are bridges between communities and continents. Hubs of intellectual and cultural interchange, they embody the values of respect and service while expanding opportunities for individuals to carry these values into the world.
UBC recognizes the inherent power of international learning to reveal new worlds, open spirits, and change lives. The University builds on successes in international teaching, learning, research, and service to increase engagement at every level. International initiatives include research and institutional partnerships; community and overseas service; and international development ventures, all in regions strategically chosen to cultivate our strengths.
The critical challenges of our day transcend borders. Our ability to address them depends on transcending borders, too: those dividing disciplines and nations. UBC assumes its responsibilities at the centre of dialogue and activity, leading an ethical approach and working with sister institutions to strengthen Canada’s role on the world stage.
Goal Increase the capacity of UBC students, faculty, staff, and alumni to engage internationally
Foster student participation in learning and service abroad
- Expand the number of funded, credit bearing places available to UBC students in international partner institutions
- Enhance and expand welcome and service space for international students (VPS)
Complete Okanagan campus international strategy
- Complete consultation for the Okanagan International Strategic Plan in 2012 (DVC)
Increase participation of graduate students and other researchers in collaborative projects with international counterparts
- Increase the number of successful applications for graduate student international research mobility awards and international research collaboration workshop grants (VPA, DVC, VPRI)
- Establish International Visiting Scholar funding at the Okanagan campus (2012/13, DVC)
Improve the level of information available to students, faculty and staff on UBC’s international connections
- Finalize and launch the international mapping tool so that it is widely used at UBC by students, faculty and staff (VPRI, DVC)
Goal Strengthen UBC’s presence as a globally influential university
Increase the number of substantial strategic partnerships in regions of priority to UBC
- Establish fully operational offices in India and an India Advisory Committee (VPRI)
- Develop the China Forum and a China Advisory Committee, and explore the establishment of UBC offices in China (VPRI)
- Conduct a review of UBC’s international representation and develop a revised strategy (VPRI)
- Develop proposals for new internationally focused centres of excellence re: India (Canada-India Research Centre of Excellence)
- Establish a new Europe-based partnership with funding in the area of clean energy technology (VPRI)
and with the Canadian International Institute for Extractive Industries and Development (VPRI)
Strengthen UBC’s role in international development
- Increase the number of successful CIDA/IDRC/ Foundation projects (VPRI)
- Establish a survey process to determine how UBC’s current activities contribute to international development (VPRI)